Wednesday, January 2, 2013

New Years Day: Hoppin John in the Crock

One of my New Years Resolutions is to blog all my dinners for the entire year.  New Years Day holds a cooking tradition in my household.  Click here to see what Hoppin John is all about.

I typically do a basic recipe with the collards and blackeyed peas, then mix with rice.  This year I did it a bit different and really enjoyed the outcome.

Everything in the Crock!

3 tbsp minced garlic
2 bags black eyed peas
2 boxes frozen spinach or 1 bag frozen collards
2 cups leftover ham + the bone
1 can diced tomatoes
8-10 cups stock (1 used 5 chicken & 5 beef boullion cubes + 6ish cups water)
I added a bag of frozen okra this year (<- Definite keeper!)

Crock 8-10 hours on low or keep warm.



My daughter thought 'poor mans stew' was good enough to have more often than once a year!!!

Steam rice and serve atop.

Happy NEW YEAR!

No comments:

Post a Comment