Monday, January 21, 2013

Crockpot Homemade Refried Beans

This has got me more excited than I don't know what, but I'm ridiculous excited!!!  This makes a LOT of beans.  I know exactly what is in them.  They are fat free. AND... the best part.... This huge tub cost only $2.50 to make!!!

I have said before how many bean burritos I eat... again.... this makes me so happy :)

***Soak your beans overnight before making these! Click here to see why. 
In your Crockpot:
Dry pinto beans (2-3 lbs)
a couple cloves of garlic
1/2 (or more) of an onion
Cover with water and crock on high for 8 hours.

For extra flavor, Add:
Fresh Jalapenos
Salsa
Green Chiles
**Add a couple bouillon cubes (beef or chicken). *Great Tip thanks to Anjy VerPlanck!


Stir every once in a while and in the first couple hours if you notice the water is going away, add more.  (This isn't really a situation where you can leave for the whole day).  The water was *gone* about an hour after I started it and then once I added more water, it was fine.







When the beans are completely cooked, start food processing in small batches and transferring into a larger container to cool.  These DEFINITELY need Salt.

Once cooled, transfer into small Ziploc baggies, date/label and freeze.  You could easily can these, but I use them quickly enough, that just isn't necessary in my house.

Click here to see what I did with the beans!

No comments:

Post a Comment