Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Yeast Yam Bread



So I got this gigantic Yam...(just 1) in my Bountiful Basket the week before last.  I *really* needed to use it but wasn't really interested in the normal mashed yams side dish.  A lady on my dinners group on Facebook suggested Yam Bread.  I did some research online for tried and true recipes and found one to get an idea.  I tweaked- it was in milliliters and incomplete so... winging it again! Plus I decided to put it in my bread maker..... Turned into some seriously beautiful results :)

Before I got started, I peeled and cut up the yam.  Then I microwaved it until it was mashable.  Since the yam was HUGE, I put half in a Ziploc and threw it in the freezer.  Then......

Let these 3 things foam in the bread maker:
1 cup warm water
1 tsp Sugar
2 1/4 tsp Active Yeast (or 1 packet)

Then add:
1/2 tsp Salt
2 tbsp Olive Oil
1/3 C Vanilla Rice Milk (you can use regular)
2 1/2 C Bread Flour
1 C cooked/mashed Yam



I chose the 'dough' setting.  When it was done kneading and rising, I switched the setting to 'bake only'.

That's it.

This bread is so moist and fluffy, yet doesn't smell or taste sweet and has a lovely orange hue.  I made my husbands turkey & jalapeno sandwich on it this morning.  That's sure to catch him off guard!  I'm sure I'll get a: "What kind of bread did you make my sandwich out of this morning?" - when I get home. Ha.  I'm full of surprises...................
*Update........... As soon as my hubby got home and put his lunchbox on the counter, the EXACT words out of his mouth were: "THAT BREAD WAS BOMB! - Where is the rest of it?"

***Since I did this in my bread maker, I am not sure how you would do it otherwise.  I can assume knead as you would normal yeast bread, let rise until doubled in size, punch and knead again, shape, let rise again and then bake at 325 degrees for 30-45 minutes (depending on size, shape of loaf, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment