Monday, February 18, 2013

Squasharoni & Cheese

I have to admit, this was fun to create!  Not only did I trick my kid into eating squash, this was WAY healthier than any other Macaroni & Cheese and it turned out delicious.
I gathered ANYTHING I could possibly sneak in this dish to make it tasty and healthy without the lack luster of typical Mac 'N Cheese.
1/2 Package Bucatini Pasta (broken in 2" pieces)
Milk
2 whole Spaghetti Squash (previously cooked)
2 eggs
1/2 C YoChee
1 can Cheddar Cheese Soup
1 C Shredded Cheddar Cheese (Sharp is best)
1 cup diced ham
Chili Powder, Ground Mustard, Salt Blend
First, I cut the squash in half, removed the seeds, sprinkled with chili powder and 'steamed' in my crockpot.  (Only one is shown at right) ->

This took about 5 hours.  I removed them and let cool completely.
I broke up a half a package of Bucatini pasta into about 2" pieces and put on the bottom of the crockpot.

Then I covered (just barely) with milk and turned the crock on low.  As soon as I could see the pasta starting to get a bit soft, I mixed in the can of soup.

*This is all a fairly quick process so, don't leave your crockpot for hours on end, or the pasta will be mush.

Next, I added the YoChee, Eggs, Cheese, Ham and Spaghetti Squash.  I mixed it up really well, seasoned and let cook for about 25 mins.
This needs salt & pepper (IMO) but really turned out GOOD!

*Pasta in the crockpot is kinda hard to get right.  It is very easily overcooked.  The pasta I used for this (Bucatini) is basically a super thick hollow spaghetti.  It held up REALLY well in the crock and was also a fun shape.

No comments:

Post a Comment