Monday, June 24, 2013

Healthified Crockpot Lasagna



Lasagna is the BOMB.  Yeah.  I said bomb. Seriously though.... I grew up with an 100% Italian Father "Mio Padre" and the VERY first thing my Mother taught me to make when I was a child, was Lasagna......  the real way!  She was pregnant with my sister (I was 8) and she said that she wanted me to make it for her when she came home from the hospital with the baby.   Um... HOLY TASK!  If anyone has ever made homemade Lasagna.... not only does it seems to cost $30-$40 for a pan, its sooooooo time consuming that I often find myself reaching for that Stouffers Freezer Party Tray..... *I realize thats a sin, but it's good...

So ANYWHO.... Here's my 'healthified' take on 'REAL' Lasagna.... oh.... and its in the CROCKPOT!

Ingredients:
1 lb chub Ground Turkey
1 package of Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles
1 16 oz container of Cottage Cheese
2 Jars of Red Sauce (or 40 oz homemade gravy)
2 bags of fresh spinach leaves
4-6 cups of Shredded Mozzerella/Blend
Minced Garlic
Italian Seasoning
Garlic Salt



PRE ASSEMBLY:

  • Brown the Ground Turkey with 2 tsp Italian Seasoning & 1 tsp Garlic Salt.  Set aside

  • Boil the Noodles with about 2 tbsp Oil in the water to keep from sticking together.
  • 'Strain' the container of Cottage Cheese to remove most the liquid.
  • Puree the Strained Cottage Cheese with 1 tbsp Minced Garlic & 1 tbsp Italian Seasoning in a food processor.









Now it's time to ASSEMBLE!

  • Put about 1/2 jar or about 2 cups red sauce on the bottom of the Crockpot.
  • Strategically place noodles over the sauce, careful not to let them climb up the sides. (I actually used scissors to make my noodles a little friendlier shaped.)
  • Start your layers on top of first noodles:
    • Cottage Cheese directly on Noodles
    • Cover with a Layer of Raw Spinach
    • More Noodles
    • Meat
    • Sauce
    • Shredded Cheese
    • Noodles
    • Cottage Cheese
    • Spinach
    • Noodles
    • Meat
    • Sauce
    • Noodles
    • Cottage Cheese
    • Spinach
    • Noodles
    • Cheese
    • Sauce (at this point, make sure to get the sauce ALL over & around the top of the lasagna
    • a bit of shredded cheese





Crock on 'Keep Warm' for 6-8 hours.
Add about 2 cups more cheese to the top.
Crank up to 'Low' setting for about an half an hour.
Take Lid off/ Turn off and let 'set' for about 10 minutes.

Serve :)


1 comment:

  1. You are hereby nominated for the Liebster Award via http://sweetsugarblossoms.blogspot.com/2013/05/liebster-award.html?showComment=1372296602290#c5506514304374211951

    ReplyDelete