Monday, March 11, 2013

Italian Orzo Skillet


All of a sudden I'm obsessed with making Italian food.  I don't know why, but it's happening.... I keep trying to remember the stuff my Dad made when I was little and all I can see is Garbanzo Beans and Cannolis.

This was super easy to make and gave me the opportunity to use up some veggies that were on their way out....

Get out the following ingredients:

1 Tray Italian Sausage (I used Turkey)
2 Cans Diced tomatoes (undrained)
1/2 box Orzo pasta
2 Green Peppers (largely diced)
1 Eggplant (largely diced)
3 Bullion cubes (beef or chicken)
1 Scallion (Minced)
1 tbsp Garlic (Minced)
2 tbsp Italian Seasoning



Boil sausage until plump and cooked thoroughly.

Take the diced green pepper and eggplant and sautee in about 2 tbsp olive oil until cooked, but not completely through. 

Add the garlic and scallion and on high heat sautee quickly.

Put into another bowl until later.







Put the bullion cubes and about 4 cups water into the hot pan. 

Get simmering and then add the orzo.  Allow to simmer for about 2-3 mins and then add the veggies and the precooked sausage (cut into chunks).






Add the cans of diced tomatoes and the seasoning.

Cook until everything is done and the water is absorbed well.

Top with Parmesan cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment